This creamy carbonara is the cure when you’re craving comfort food while on the keto diet!
Fun fact about Carbonara is that it’s a creamy pasta without the use of actual cream.
Traditionally, what gives carbonara it’s creamy texture is the starch from water used to cook the pasta and the use of eggs which also thickens the sauce. In this recipe because we are using zoodles, which don’t have starch, we will use chicken bone broth to help to create a sauce.
Bone broth adds more flavor than simple pasta water while also providing healing gut properties for this healthy dish. Bone broth is a great ingredient to always have in the fridge. You can make a big batch, freeze some, and leave the rest to drink you doing intermediate fasting or making delicious dish like this one.
Since the carbonara doesn’t use cream, it can be eaten by people with lactose intolerance. We used pecorino cheese made with raw milk which is great to increase gut flora. The bacteria already present in the milk helps with the fermentation of the cheese. It does this by eating the lactose (the sugar in the milk), which produces a naturally low lactose cheese, which can be consumed by many people who have less severe issues with lactose. Omit the pecorino for a completely lactose free meal.
Zoodles alla Carbonara
Prep Time: 2-4 minutes
Cook Time: 5-7 minutes
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 542.5 calories, 45g total fat, 5.9g carbohydrates, 1.6g fiber, 4.3g net carbs, 23.5g protein
- 4 tbsp pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta
2 slices of bacon, diced
10 oz zoodles
1/4 cup chicken bone broth
pepper to taste
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
Allergen disclaimer: Contains dairy
- 1Whisk the two eggs with 3 tbsp of the cheese until well combined, and set aside.
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and pancetta, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, until the meat is crispy and golden.
- 3Then add the zoodles to the pan, toss for 30 seconds, and add the broth.
- 4When the broth starts bubbling, about 10 seconds after being added, turn off the heat, and immediately add the egg mix, stirring quickly until the eggs thicken. The residual heat will cook the eggs, so it’s important to work quickly to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- 5Finally, add the fresh herbs and fresh black pepper. The pecorino, pancetta and bacon is quite salty, so the recipe has no added salt, but feel free to salt to your taste, if needed.
- 6Put the zoodles into a bowl, add the extra pecorino cheese on top and serve immediately.
Want to pin this recipe for later? Hover over the image below and click the "Save" button in the top left corner to add to your Pinterest board.