Turkey burgers are usually dry and boring. Adding a bit of moisture to them with grated onion and mustard can help them stay moist and flavorful.
Turkey contains high amounts of B vitamins that promote healthy blood circulation and may help to control cholesterol levels. B vitamins also contribute to healthy nerve function and may help to protect you from heart disease. Ground turkey is rich in selenium, which is known to support immunity, control thyroid function and protects your body against the cellular damage that can lead to cancer or other chronic illness and disease.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
*Note: Salsa and Guacamole not included in nutrition information
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 212 calories, 12g total fat, 3g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 2g net carbs, 23g protein
½ medium onion, finely chopped or grated
1 lb. ground turkey, pasture raised and grain fed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons whole grain or Dijon mustard
¾ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 4 tablespoons guacamole (optional)
- 4 tablespoons salsa (optional)
- 1Line a baking sheet with wax paper
- 2Using a mini food processor finely chop the onion. (you can also use the fine holes on a box grater if you don’t have a mini food processor).
- 3Place onion in a fine mesh strainer to discard most of the juice.
- 4Place onion in a large mixing bowl along with the ground turkey, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.
- 5Using your hands mix all ingredients together until well blended. The mixture should be fairly moist.
- 6Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into patties approximately ½ inch thick and place on baking sheet.
- 7Place in fridge for 15-20 to chill
- 8Heat the oil in a large nonstick fry pan or cast iron over medium high heat.
- 9Once the oil is hot place your patties in the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes per side.
- 10Place burgers on plate and top with either your favorite guacamole or salsa. (or both).
*HighKey Note: These burgers turn out best if made on the stove top or baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes as opposed to the grill.
Want to pin this recipe for later? Hover over the image below and click the "Save" button in the top left corner to add to your Pinterest board.