Okay, it's a salad but stay with me for a minute. This parmesan crusted fried chicken salad is the perfect marriage between delicious and sensible.
Dijon mustard and parmesan cheese combine for a sweet and salty crunch to crispy fried chicken, while the homemade caesar dressing lightens things up with a zesty lemon kick. Lay it over a bed of romaine lettuce for the perfect lunch break or a light dinner.
Chicken Caesar Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 1008 calories, 88g total fat, 9g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 6g net carbs, 47g protein
4 6oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
8 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Hearts of Romaine leaves torn
- 1Place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- 2Using the flat side of a meat mallet pound out chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- 3Place wax paper on cookie sheet and pile shredded cheese on top of the wax paper.
- 4Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (you will want the pan to be very hot before placing the chicken in the pan).
- 5Using a pastry brush or a teaspoon spread a thin layer of mustard on both sides of the chicken.
- 6Coat both sides of the chicken by firmly pressing it into the cheese. Coat with as much cheese as possible.
- 7Add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. (for each chicken breast).
- 8Place chicken into the pan cook 7 minutes on each side, until cheese forms an even, golden crust.
- 1Place the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, Worcestershire, anchovies, lemon juice, in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth.
- 2With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube and process until thick.
- 3Add the Parmesan and pulse 3 times to combine.
- 1Tear lettuce leaves into a large bowl.
- 2Cut chicken into strips and place onto of lettuce.
- 3Drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- 4Add more dressing if needed or reserve the rest of the dressing to use later in the week.
*HighKey Note: Dressing will last up to 3 days refrigerated in an airtight container
Want to pin this recipe for later? Hover over the image below and click the "Save" button in the top left corner to add to your Pinterest board.