You made the commitment to follow a ketogenic diet, and now you need some killer low carb snack ideas, am I right? Just because you are eating keto doesn’t mean you have to deprive yourself and cut out snacks, keep reading for lots of awesome keto friendly snacks to get you started.
Before we jump in, here’s one secret to success when it comes to tackling healthy low carb snacks: be prepared with a variety of no carb foods ready and on hand. No one wants to be hangry, so we’ve got you covered with easy snack ideas for every craving.
Let’s dive in!
For those days when you don’t have time to spend in the kitchen, these grab-and-go snacks are a lifesaver. Just open ‘em up, and you are ready to go! Here are my top picks for snacks on the go.
- Keto packaged snacks - Try Cinnamon Almond Granola, Snickerdoodle Cookies, or Cheddar Cheese Crunch for a crunchy, satisfying snack. These are perfect for throwing in your bag as you head out the door. They may taste like an indulgence, but with only 2 grams (or less) of net carbs per serving, they will keep you on track with your keto goals.
- Jerky - Dried meat can be a great low carb snack idea because it is high in protein and fat, with no carbohydrates. It is also rich in iron and other important minerals, which are essential for brain health. All jerky isn’t created equal, though beware of those with added sugar and fillers, choose one without all the added ingredients, one of my personal favorites is zero carb Chomps.
- Olives - Not only are olives a low carb keto friendly snack, but they are full of flavor and fun to eat, not to mention a great source of vitamin E and antioxidants. Bonus: they come in single-serve packs, perfect for taking with you as you run out the door.
Low carb vegetables - Vegetables are the ultimate healthy low carb snacks and are an easy snack to eat while you’re on the run, plus they are great if you are trying to lose weight. With their high fiber content, they often have low amounts of net carbs, and they pair well with other low carb snack foods, like nut butter, jerky, or cream cheese. ere are a few low carb veggies that make great keto diet snacks, and for a more complete list check out this article on Keto Friendly Vegetables:
- Celery - 1 gram of net carbs per cup
- Cucumber - 3 grams of net carbs per cup
- Cauliflower - 2 grams of net carbs per cup
- Radishes - 2 grams of net carbs per cup
Still looking for a few more snacks for on the go? Check out our complete snack collection here!
Carb Free, Zero Carb Keto Snacks
If you’re getting close to your carb limit, but are famished and need something to get you through, we’ve got your back! Zero carb snacks are high in fat and perfect for keeping you in ketosis, while satisfying your cravings.
What counts as a no-carb snack? For this list, a no-carb snack is one with less than 1 gram of carb per serving. The foods that are typically considered zero carbs are meat and fish, some cheeses, eggs, plain coffee or tea, and some vegetables/herbs. Don’t worry if this list looks small, we have some creative no-carb snacks that can spice up your snack game. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Pork rinds - Salty, crispy, and delicious, pork rinds are easy to eat on the go and perfect for when you’re craving something salty but don’t want any extra carbs.
- Salmon or Tuna - A good balance of protein and fat, salmon and tuna come in convenient pouches that you can stash in your bag. With no carbs, this is a great snack for those moments when you need something that will keep you feeling full for a while. Just be sure to choose tuna or salmon that is packed in oil (not water), and watch out for flavored varieties that may have added carbs.
- Cacao Nibs - Cacao nibs are crushed cocoa beans that are rich, chocolatey, and a little bitter (think super dark chocolate!). They are packed with antioxidants that have been studied for their anti-inflammatory role and can keep you feeling satisfied and at your best. Not bad for a keto snack, right? If you need a chocolate fix without all the carbs, this one's for you!
Sweet Keto Snacks
Have a sweet tooth? No problem! The good news is there are lots of keto-friendly snacks that can satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your keto diet. No need to deprive yourself, because we have a snack for every sweet craving.
- Cookies - Like cookies? Try these double chocolate brownie cookies for a crispy and decadent snack.
- Fat bombs - Prefer something slightly less sweet, but still indulgent? Fat bombs are always a fun choice, and come in lots of different flavor combinations.
- Berries and whipped cream - If you’d rather keep it simple, try fresh raspberries topped with whipped cream.
Wondering if you can really have fruit on a keto diet? Some fruits are lower in carbs and are perfect for satisfying your craving for sweets and still keeping you in ketosis. The best fruits to choose are those that are low in carbohydrates and high in fiber, which results in less of the carbohydrates being absorbed into the bloodstream (aka lower net carbs). Let’s take a look at which fruits are perfect for keto snacking.
- Strawberries - 4 grams net carbs in ½ cup
- Raspberries - 3 grams net carbs in ½ cup
- Blackberries - 3 grams net carbs in ½ cup
- Watermelon - 5.5 grams net carbs in ½ cup
High Fat Keto Snacks
With fat being a staple of the ketogenic diet, finding high-fat snacks is essential to keto diet success. And let’s be honest, high-fat snacks taste so good! Here are a few high-fat snacks you may want to throw in your snack rotation.
- Avocado - Rich and creamy, avocado is great spread on cucumber slices, jicama, or celery sticks with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, or a squeeze of lime to enhance flavor. With 10 grams of fat, and only a little over 1 gram of net carb per serving in ½ an avocado, it is the ultimate keto snack.
- Keto Cookies - If you’re feeling in the mood to treat yourself (and who isn’t?), these HighKey Chocolate chip mini cookies hit the spot. With 14 grams of fat and only 2 grams of net carbs per serving, they can fit into any keto diet.
- Keto coffee - If you haven’t tried keto coffee yet, you are seriously missing out. Keto coffee is also called bulletproof coffee, and it is made by mixing coffee with MCT oil butter - it may sound odd, but it is rich, creamy, and delicious. Here’s a recipe to try.
- Nut butter - Individual packets of nut butter are easy to eat on the go, and are full of healthy fats that support gut health. As always, check the label and choose a kind that just contains nuts, salt, and oil, as some varieties can have added sugar.
- Cheese - Cheeses like cream cheese and cheddar cheese are a great choice for a keto diet because they are high in fat, moderate in protein, and low in carbohydrates. They are perfect for adding some fat to an otherwise low-fat snack. Cheese is great paired with low-carb vegetables or is perfect eaten on its own.
Crunchy Keto Snacks
Sometimes you just need something crunchy, and we get it! Let’s talk about our favorite crunchy and seriously satisfying keto snacks.
- Cheese Crunch - For an easy, high fat crunchy snack, these Cheese Crunch snacks are perfect. Just open the bag and you’re good to go.
- Kale Chips - To get your greens in AND get your crunch on, kale chips are a great choice. They are salty and crunchy, while providing antioxidant activity and some fiber. Beware of the packaged kale chips you can buy, as many have added sugars. Kale chips are super simple and quick to make at home, so if you want to go that route, here’s an easy recipe to try.
- Seaweed crisps - These crunchy little sheets are great if you’re looking for a crispy, crunchy low carb snack, and they pack a lot of nutrition in a small package. They also contain tyrosine and iodine, which are nutrients that support thyroid health. As always, check those labels because some brands add a lot of starches and flavorings to the crisps, so choose ones that have 1 gram of carb or less per serving.
- Trail mix - When you think of trail mix, you may be thinking of mixes that are full of dried fruit and added sugars. But here is a savory low carb snack idea for keto friendly trail mix that you’re going to love, it’s loaded with almonds, keto cheese crunch, and jerky, and it is packed with flavor. Click here for the recipe.
Online or Store Bought Keto Snacks
If you are the plan-ahead time and know you will one day be strapped for time, there are tons of great options for easy keto diet snacks that you can buy ahead of time. I’ve mentioned quite a few popular low carb snack ideas already, like jerky, pork rinds, keto cookies, and kale chips.... but here are a few more “out-of the-box” keto snack ideas to get you might want to try:
- Cauliflower mash - Mashed cauliflower may not pop into your mind when you think keto snacks, but its the perfect cheesy, creamy snack. This cauliflower mash is packed with protein and healthy fat, so it fits well with a keto diet and is rich and satisfying. The best part? It comes already prepared, so all you have to do is mix it with water, add a little butter, and it’s ready in a minute or less.
- Nut (and seed) butter - Nut and seed butters packaged in individual servings are such an easy thing to grab while you’re grocery shopping. Keep a few on hand in your desk at work, or stashed in your bag so you always have a healthy and filling snack close by. Or grab a whole jar for spreading over your favorite keto bread.
- Hot cereal - If you’re looking for a warm and comforting keto snack idea that comes together in minutes and is great any time of the day, these hot cereals hit the spot. Made with nourishing proteins, they are filling, yet they taste like a treat. In flavors like strawberries and cream, cinnamon spice, cocoa almond, and maple brown sugar, there’s a flavor for every season.
Homemade Keto Snacks
When snack time hits, you don’t always have time to run to the store to grab something, so having some snacks ready to go at home can be a lifesaver. Here are some quick and easy keto snacks you can throw together at home in just a few minutes - we’ve highlighted some of our favorites below.
- Cuban ham roll-ups - All you’ll need is ham, cheese, and lettuce. Layer them, roll them, dress them up with a little mayo and mustard, and you have an easy (and low carb) snack.
- Chick in a hole - Mix together chicken, parmesan, vinegar, and spices, and spoon into an avocado half. Quick, easy, and delicious!
- Creamy, crunchy coconut butter - When you need a REALLY quick snack, just grab a scoop of softened coconut butter, sprinkle on a few cacao nibs, and get your snack on!
Entertaining or going to a party and want to bring something keto-friendly? These snack ideas are perfect for a crowd (or be a rebel and save them all for yourself!).
- Cheese ball - Nothing beats a creamy cheeseball, and this one doesn’t disappoint. With cream cheese, bacon bits, green onions, and pecans, it is out of this world! It won’t take you long to make, and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
- Dips - Nothing says snack time like a good dip. You could keep it simple and mix mayo and sour cream with some spices, or kick it up a notch with a BLT dip, like this one, or a Buffalo Chicken dip, like this one. Veggies like cucumber, celery, bell pepper strips, broccoli, cauliflower, and radishes are perfect keto-friendly options for dipping.
- Bacon-wrapped anything- Who doesn’t love bacon? Bacon-wrapped around pretty much anything makes the perfect snack, and some of our keto-friendly favorites include bacon-wrapped asparagus, bacon-wrapped avocado, and jalapeno poppers - wrapped in bacon, of course! To make bacon-wrapped veggies, simply wrap the asparagus or avocado in a bacon strip, and bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.
Parting Thoughts on Surviving the Keto Snack Attack
Now that you’re armed with snack ideas for every scenario, it’s time to get snacking! There’s no right or wrong way to go about snacks on a keto diet, so do what works for you. Some days you may feel ravenous and need an extra snack (or two!) to tide you over, and that is okay. The low carb snack ideas I’ve shared allow you to snack guilt-free, and give you enough variety so you won’t get burned out eating the same things all the time. And let’s face it, keto snacks have never tasted so good - so get out there, and get snacking!