Keto Friendly Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Bacon Recipe
KETO FRIENDLY CAULIFLOWER MAC AND CHEESE WITH BACON RECIPE
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 31 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 41 minutes
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving):
414.8 Calories • 33.7g Fat
9g Carbohydrates • 2.5g Fiber
6.5g Net Carbs • 20.6g Protein
Enjoy the classic comfort of mac and cheese without all the carbs. Tender cauliflower serves as the perfect vessel for this creamy cheese sauce, featuring probiotic-rich full fat greek yogurt and a mix of cheeses.
As a member of the brassica family, cauliflower is rich in health-promoting bioactive compounds called phytochemicals. These compounds have powerful antioxidant and antiinflammatory activity in the body, fighting free radicals and oxidative stress. They also stimulate detoxification and immune function. They have been studied for their ability to reduce cancer risk and growth of cancer cells. Additionally, cauliflower is abundant in vitamin C and E, both of which further contribute to the incredible antioxidant potential of this versatile vegetable (R).
This keto mac and cheese is sure to become a healthy family favorite that everyone can agree on.TOOLS/EQUIPMENT
- Large Pot
- 3 Quart Casserole Dish
- Large Saucepan
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup full fat greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
Allergen disclaimer: Contains dairyDIRECTIONS
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil 4-5 minutes, until just tender. Drain well and pat dry. Set aside.
- Grease a 3 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat chopped bacon over medium heat 6-8 minutes, until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving grease in the pan.
- Remove pan from heat. Add heavy cream and Greek yogurt to bacon grease and stir to combine. Return to heat. Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup Colby jack cheese, ground mustard, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until smooth.
- Add cauliflower, half of bacon, and half of chives to cheese sauce. Toss to coat. Transfer mixture too prepared casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese, Colby jack cheese, and bacon.
- Bake 15-18 minutes at 350 degree, until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Serve warm, garnished with remaining chives.
Storage: Store casserole in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer up to 2 months.
HighKey Tip: When making this recipe in our test kitchen, we found it helpful to bake the bacon in the oven at 400 degrees rather than on the stove.
Danielle Moore is a Nutritionist and the Founder of Sunday Bacon Kitchen, a full service culinary design firm inspired by her son’s love of bacon on Sunday mornings. Follow her cooking and eating adventures on Instagram at @sundaybacon